Gas explosion rocks UNN hostel

As the residents of the University of Nigeria Nsukka, UNN, college community were enjoying their Sunday, drama struck the college’s Akpabio Hostel, resulting in pandemonium from the sound of an explosion.

The explosion occurred precisely in room 106 of said inn and is said to have come from a leaking gas bottle.

The victims allegedly tried to cook with the faulty cylinder when the cylinder exploded.

University sources revealed that there is a no-cooking rule in the hostel, which the victims flouted by smuggling and using their gas cooker and stove to cook inside the hostel.

The victims, who were two university undergraduates, suffered third-degree burns and had to be transferred from UNN Medical Center to the trauma center at the National Orthopedic Hospital by their parents.

Confirming the accident to Nsukka reporters on Monday, Vice Chancellor Prof Charles Igwe regretted the incident, pointing out that he has set up a committee to undertake a door-to-door search of hostels to track down offenders to the rule against cooking in hostels and charged that the culprits would be sent off campus where they would be free to cook for themselves.

YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE TITLES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

Buhari urges MTN to provide quality service, downgrade data cost and other services

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday at State House Abuja urged MTN Group to make the premium service available to its Nigerian subscribers… Gas explosion shakes UNN hostel Gas explosion shakes UNN hostel Gas explosion shakes l hostel UNN

We haven’t had a water supply for months ― Residents of Abeokuta

Despite the huge investment in the water sector by the government and international organizations, water scarcity has become a permanent nightmare for the people of Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun State.

Linda G. Ibarra