Two UNIZIK students found dead in a hostel

Two people believed to be students of Nnamdi Azikiwe University in Awka Anambra State were reportedly found dead at a private hostel near the college.

It was collected that the two people; a man and a woman were killed by fumes from a generator.

A source close to the institution said the room was forced open following a strong stench coming from the room due to rotting corpses.

The source also said that due to the level of decomposition, the duo could have died a few days ago without their neighbors knowing.

According to the source, the girl was not answering her calls, which worried her parents and they decided to keep an eye on her.

“When the relative arrived at the hostel and found it was locked from the inside, they reported to the police who came and forced the door open. No marks of violence on the bodies. They apparently died of carbon monoxide poisoning from the generator fumes. The generator was found in an enclosed space facing the room,” the source said.

READ ALSO: We are ready for an indefinite strike, FG are dribbling us – ASUU

According to the Daily Trust, the police, along with representatives of the Student Union Government and the girl’s parents, moved the bodies to a morgue in Awka for further investigation.

Nnamdi Azikiwe University security chief, Mr. Ken Chukwura, said that one of the people who died in the private hostel near the institution was not a university student.

He confirmed that the female person was a student, while the male was not a student of the school. However, he regretted that private operators of environmental hostels are not interested in the safety of the hostels they rent out to students.

Moreso, the police commissioner, Echeng Echeng, attributed their deaths to fumes from the generator.

The commissioner, in a statement issued by command spokesman DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, said the preliminary investigation revealed that fumes from the generator were being heard strongly in the room.

According to him, the door was forced open by police officers who responded to the distress call.

He said the bodies were recovered and taken to the morgue and no marks of abuse were found on the bodies.

However, he urged the general public, especially generator users, to keep it away from windows to avoid toxic fumes like carbon monoxide that affect home ventilation.

“I want to enlighten the general public about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Hazardous substance very toxic to health. This substance, when inhaled, can cause serious damage to the body and can lead to death.

The substances mainly come from generators, water heaters, coal-fired appliances or any gasoline engine,” he said.

Linda G. Ibarra