University student, unidentified man found dead in hostel

A Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU) student, Awka and an as-yet-unidentified man were discovered dead in a private hostel near the institution’s campus on Sunday.

The decomposing bodies of the deceased, a woman and a man, were discovered after the door was forced open following the stench in the room.

A student residing in the building said a relative of the deceased woman visited him after days of unanswered phone calls.

The source said the room was rented by the deceased while the man was believed to be visiting.

The source said some hostel residents after the incident were now sleeping at friends’ hostels out of fear while others were planning to move following the traumatic experience.

Confirming the incident, NAU Chief Security Officer Chief Ken Chukwurah said the deceased woman was a Level 100 student at the institution while the unidentified deceased was not a NAU student. .

He said the hostel was private, adding that many owners who build such hostels were often complacent with safety and security precautions.

Chukwurah said there were no clues as to the cause of the deaths, but nearby was a generator that would have run until it ran out of fuel.

The NAU Chief of Security’s Office further stated that only an autopsy could reveal the cause.

The CSO said the institution will step up its engagement with private hostel providers to ensure better safety and well-being for students outside of school.

Meanwhile, Anambra State Police Commissioner Mr. Echeng Echeng has ordered an investigation into the matter.

State Police Public Relations Officer (PRO) DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, in a statement on Monday, said the preliminary investigation revealed that fumes from the generator may have been the cause of death.

Ikenga said the bodies were evacuated and taken to the morgue, adding that no marks of violence were found on them.

He warned the general public, especially users of generators, to keep them at a safe distance to avoid inhaling toxic fumes like carbon monoxide.

Linda G. Ibarra